Monday, January 04, 2010

Musing

It is a beastly hour to be awake.

I am awake because I fell asleep last night, and woke up this morning thinking about style. Personal style.

and then the thought came.. do I have such a thing? What is "My Style"...

colorful, yes.

old fashioned, perhaps.

a little weird, definitely.

international, yes.


...and then another thought came.... does this style show itself in my art. Do i have a definite style.

sadly, i think not.

possibly a little more comes across in my photography, because of what I choose to photograph. but painting/drawing/design-wise... I do whatever I want...

Is that my style?

What do you think? - Comments and Critiques welcome!

Abi

2 comments:

Monica Jacobson said...

Interesting question! I check your blog quite frequently, and really enjoy seeing your latest art.

I asked Marty what he thought, and his comment was that one doesn't really need to have a style, exactly, unless one is trying to identify oneself as the same artist who did one's other works for marketing reasons. Having a style can be limiting, perhaps, and most artists seem to have drastically different styles across their work. I imagine this is important, as you can't improve yourself without trying different techniques, styles, and subject matter. I think your style lies more in your subject matter than anything else. For example, your flowers and landscapes are very elegant, but I don't really see much of you (as I see you) in them. Or perhaps that's just the younger you that I didn't know, and your more trippy stuff is the later you.

I hope that's helpful, anyway. :-)

Miss Jordan Elizabeth said...

Your style is unique. Different, that is, varied, and is not unique like some try to be and end up the same as everyone else. Truly unique in that the subject matter is portrayed from your point of view, which is not always what you'd expect.

Abstract, yet within the boundaries of beauty and always pleasing to the eye.

That's as well as I can express what I think.